Re: PostgreSQL-related legal question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jan de Visser <jan(at)de-visser(dot)net>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL-related legal question
Date: 2015-03-11 23:53:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> One of my sons was hired by Google last year after spending the past
> several years working on various open-source projects, it took 2 days of
> back-and-forth with Google's legal department before he was satisfied with
> the restrictions in their offer.

FWIW, I had a pretty similar discussion with Salesforce when I joined
them.

If you're looking at an employment agreement with verbiage like this,
get them to modify it. They're probably hiring you in part *because*
you are a contributor to PG, so they should be willing to bend their
standard language for you. If not, maybe you don't want that job.