Re: Query > 1000× slowdown after adding datetime comparison

From: twoflower <standa(dot)kurik(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query > 1000× slowdown after adding datetime comparison
Date: 2015-08-31 19:19:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

And another thing which comes out as a little surprising to me - if I replace
the *date_last_updated* condition with another one, say *doc.documenttype =
4*, the query finishes immediately. *documenttype* is an unindexed integer
column.

Here's the query plan:

<http://postgresql.nabble.com/file/n5864080/qp3.png>

What's so special about that *date_last_updated* condition that makes it so
slow to use? Is it because it involves the *date()* function call that it
makes it difficult for the planner to guess the data distribution in the
DOCUMENT table?