Re: Getting non_NULL right-side values on a non-matching join?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Getting non_NULL right-side values on a non-matching join?
Date: 2013-11-22 01:12:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Hello. In doing a left join with a particular view as the right table, and
> non-matching join criteria, I am getting values returned in a few fields.
> All the rest are NULL. I would expect all the right side values to be
> NULL.

Hmmm ... the join conditions involving COALESCE() remind me of a bug I
just fixed last week. Are you in a position to try a patch? If so,
here's the fix against 9.2:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=patch;h=51b6ae6bba75bca2374a24cf7c740da74c955ad5

If that doesn't help, please see if you can extract a self-contained
test case.