Re: pg_dump ordering problem (rc4)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pascal Scheffers <pascal(at)scheffers(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump ordering problem (rc4)
Date: 2001-04-14 16:50:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I don't suppose we can change the pg_views view without an initdb?

No, not very readily.

Even assuming that we were willing to require dbadmins to run a script
during upgrade (which I wouldn't want to do unless forced to it), it's
not that easy to fix all the occurrences of a system view. Remember
there will be a separate copy in each database, including template0
which you can't even get to. On top of which, DROP VIEW/CREATE VIEW
wouldn't work because the view would then have the wrong OID, and would
look like a user-created object to pg_dump. You'd have to manually
manipulate tuples in pg_class, pg_attribute, pg_rewrite, etc.

Kluging pg_dump is a *lot* cleaner.

I agree with the idea of adding the rule OID as a new column of pg_views
for 7.2, however.