Re: PSQL core dumps

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ian Harding" <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PSQL core dumps
Date: 2002-01-09 19:25:09
Lists: pgsql-general

"Ian Harding" <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org> writes:
> Can someone give me the 10 second "gdb for Dummies" so I can get some information from my psql.core files? It dumps core every time I exit after having done
> \c otherdatabase
> within that session. Other than that, no problems.

What version are you running? I seem to recall a bug with symptoms like
that having been around for a short time.

If it's current code (7.1.3 or later) then it's worth gdb'ing. Try

gdb psql-executable-file psql-core-file
gdb> bt
gdb> quit

and send in the results. If you don't get anything symbolic from the bt
command, you'll need to rebuild with debug symbols to get a useful
trace.