Re: I incrementally altered my database into a state where backups couldn't be restored.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Adam Tomjack" <adamtj(at)zuerchertech(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I incrementally altered my database into a state where backups couldn't be restored.
Date: 2007-10-31 13:31:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> That does really suck. But I'm not sure what we can do about it. There's no
> SQL which is entirely equivalent to the resulting view.

If we were to do anything about it, I think it would have to be to
forbid the original ALTER. But I don't see any good way to detect
the situation, either.

Consider also that an ALTER ... RENAME could create a similar failure,
if the new column name conflicts with one in some other table that is
joined against someplace.

I think that the described behavior is actually pretty harmless:
you get everything back except the broken view. So I'm not too
unhappy saying that it's going to keep working that way.