Re: text fields and performance for ETL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Grega Jesih <Grega(dot)Jesih(at)actual-it(dot)si>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, "grega(dot)jesih(at)gmail(dot)com" <grega(dot)jesih(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: text fields and performance for ETL
Date: 2021-11-03 18:50:47
Lists: pgsql-docs

Grega Jesih <Grega(dot)Jesih(at)actual-it(dot)si> writes:
> It matters a lot. It means time saving. Plenty of time. So we're talking performance. Not postgres performance, interface performance.

One more time: our docs are here to explain Postgres performance.
It is very easy to show that char/varchar are strictly worse than
text so far as Postgres is concerned. Other tools need to document
their own performance considerations in their own docs.

Now, if you have a *semantic* consideration, like "a state abbreviation
should be exactly two characters", those datatypes might help you
with enforcing that. But that's not a performance consideration.