Re: indexes not being used!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jodi Kanter <jkanter(at)virginia(dot)edu>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: indexes not being used!
Date: 2003-03-21 18:02:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jodi Kanter <jkanter(at)virginia(dot)edu> writes:
> I apologize if this is the wrong list. I have posted explain analyzes below.

Given the small size of the tables, I think the planner is doing the
right thing not to use indexes. Seqscans are probably less I/O until
the tables get a lot bigger.

The bitwise-and tests are not indexable anyway... you might want to
reconsider that data representation, if you were hoping that the bit
conditions would be useful for indexing.