Re: Would you help to review our modifications

From: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Would you help to review our modifications
Date: 2014-10-20 16:02:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

rohtodeveloper wrote
> So how to deal with this kind of situation if I want a implicit
> conversion?

As of the out-of-support 8.3 release many of the implicit casts previously
defined have been changed to explicit casts. It is a catalog change -
obviously, since you can still define implicit casts - so if you absolutely
must have the pre-existing cast be implicit you can modify the catalog
directly.

You may wish to describe why you think this is the solution you need - with
implicit casting there are generally more downsides that upsides.

Dave