Re: pg_dump versus views and opclasses

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump versus views and opclasses
Date: 2009-01-15 23:23:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>>> * It seems there's no pg_depend entry for
>>> types/functions/operators/opclasses that the view depends on, unless
>>> they are part of the SELECT list.
>>
>> What PG version exactly?

> This is all on 8.3.3.

Okay.

Looking at it some more, I notice that the SortGroupClause dependencies
are on the individual operators, which probably isn't good enough: the
operator *classes* have to exist or the parser will complain when trying
to make sense of the view. So that would be a good thing to change for
8.4 (and it's not too late yet). However --- it's also the case that
pg_dump should dump all operators *and* operator classes before it gets
to views. So either you were doing something funny with the dump/reload
or else there's a circular dependency in your DB that pg_dump is
breaking in a bad place. I look forward to the test case ;-)