Re: [HACKERS] Problem with multiple SUMs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "D'Arcy" "J(dot)M(dot)" Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Problem with multiple SUMs
Date: 1999-01-27 15:30:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> writes:
> After recent changes I find an error with SUM when summing more than
> one column. ...
> See how the individual sums are correct but I can no longer get both
> sums in one select.

Good eye!

Actually, it looks like *any* two aggregates conflict --- we're
reporting the result of the rightmost aggregate for all aggregate
functions in a SELECT. Using D'Arcy's test table, I also tried

treetest=> SELECT AVG(a), SUM(a) FROM x;
avg|sum
---+---
3| 3
(1 row)

treetest=> SELECT AVG(a), SUM(b) FROM x;
avg|sum
---+---
12| 12
(1 row)

treetest=> SELECT AVG(a), COUNT(b) FROM x;
avg|count
---+-----
2| 2
(1 row)

Oops.

This bug appears to explain some of the regression-test failures I'm
seeing --- numerology and select_having both contain multiple-aggregate
commands that are failing.

In the select_having test, it looks like multiple aggregates used in
the HAVING clause of a SELECT are suffering the same sort of fate
as those in the target list.