GIST create index very very slow

From: worthy7 <worthy(dot)vii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: GIST create index very very slow
Date: 2014-08-15 21:59:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

CREATE INDEX USING GIST(timerange);

On 1.3 million rows this took only 30 seconds.
on 70 million its already taken over a day. I swear it didn't take this long
on version 9.3

Is there some kind of known bug with GIST? CPU is at 4% or less and ram is
at 150mbs
IO usage is at 100% but most of it is writes? (like 3.5mbps!) which looks
good but actually the size of the disk is only increasing by like 8 BYTES
per second.

This is really odd and I don't want to wait an indefinite amount of time.