Cannot start Postgresql 9.3 as a service in Windows 2012 Server with a domain account

From: boca2608 <boca2608(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Cannot start Postgresql 9.3 as a service in Windows 2012 Server with a domain account
Date: 2014-06-11 16:05:06
Lists: pgsql-general

First, we have tried many suggestions found in this and other sites. But the
problem has not been solved.
When trying to start postgresql as a service with a domain account on a
windows 2012 server, the service starts and stops immediately. The Windows
event log showed a terse error about timeout (even though it did not really
take more than a couple of seconds for it to fail). By the way, the server
is in an internal data center and does not have open access to public
Internet.
We have made sure that the domain account has FULL access to all the
directories under and including the installation directory (the domain
account is NOT in the administrator group). We have made sure the domain
account has the permission to "log on as a service" in Windows Local
Security Policy. In fact, we can even use this domain account to start
postgresql from command line - "pg_ctl -U xxxx -P yyyy -D.... start" but it
just won't work when trying to start postgresql as a service. We have tried
to install postgresql under a separate drive (not the default c drive), and
it did not help.
We can start postgresql as a service if we use the local system account or
the default NETWORK SERVICE account.
We have uninstalled (and removed cleanly) / reinstalled postgresql a number
of times, have tried to install it under administrator mode, but none
helped.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
John