Re: About #13489, array dimensions and CREATE TABLE ... LIKE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Bruno Bonfils <asyd(at)asyd(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, sshang(at)pivotal(dot)io, Alexey Bashtanov <alexey(at)brandwatch(dot)com>
Subject: Re: About #13489, array dimensions and CREATE TABLE ... LIKE
Date: 2023-11-21 02:04:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> I would like to apply this patch to master because I think our current
> deficiencies in this area are unacceptable.

I do not think this is a particularly good idea, because it creates
the impression in a couple of places that we track this data, when
we do not really do so to any meaningful extent.

> An alternate approach would
> be to remove pg_attribute.attndims so we don't even try to preserve
> dimensionality.

I could get behind that, perhaps. It looks like we're not using the
field in any meaningful way, and we could simplify TupleDescInitEntry
and perhaps some other APIs.