Re: SELECT with column specified by subquery

From: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SELECT with column specified by subquery
Date: 2014-05-05 19:29:44
Lists: pgsql-general

webcoyote wrote
> I desire to create a SELECT statement where one of the column names comes
> from another table. Something like:
>
> SELECT id, (SELECT type FROM favorite_food_type WHERE user = 'ralph')
> FROM foods;
>
> If Ralph's favorite food type is fruit, ultimately I'd like the query to
> become:
>
> SELECT id, fruit FROM foods;
>
> Instead I get:
>
> SELECT id, 'fruit' FROM foods;
>
> Where 'fruit' is a string and not treated as a column name. Is there any
> way to do this?
>
> Thank you!

Not using pure SQL. You can run the favorite food query, save the result to
a variable, then build a dynamic SQL query and inject the value of the
variable in place of where you would place the column name alias. Pick
whatever language/client you wish.

I do not understand how you get:

"SELECT id, 'fruit' FROM foods;"

since the result of a select is a table, not another select...

David J.