Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Subject: Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning
Date: 2024-08-19 17:52:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But that seems somewhat incidental to what this thread is about.

Perhaps. But if we're running into issues related to that, it might
be good to set aside the long-term goal for a bit and come up with
a cleaner answer for intra-session locking. That could allow the
pruning problem to be solved more cleanly in turn, and it'd be
an improvement even if not.

> Do you have a view on what the way forward might be?

I'm fresh out of ideas at the moment, other than having a hope that
divide-and-conquer (ie, solving subproblems first) might pay off.

> This thread has gotten a tad depressing, honestly. All of the opinions
> about what we ought to do seem to be based on the firm conviction that
> X or Y or Z will not work, rather than on the confidence that A or B
> or C will work. Yet I'm inclined to believe this problem is solvable.

Yeah. We are working in an extremely not-green field here, which
means it's a lot easier to see pre-existing reasons why X will not
work than to have confidence that it will work. But hey, if this
were easy then we'd have done it already.