Re: Feature branches merged to master for 2.8 release

From: Christian Ferrari <camauz(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: psycopg(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature branches merged to master for 2.8 release
Date: 2018-10-28 21:35:41
Lists: psycopg

Dear All,today I have released LIXA 1.7.1 with Python/Psycopg2 support.To avoid two different methods (get_native_connection() for PostgreSQL and _get_native_connection() for MySQL/MariaDB) I have created a fork of Psycopg2 https://github.com/tiian/psycopg2/tree/get-native-connection with the code provided by Federico and method "get_native_connection" renamed.For the sake of convenience I have created a pull request: https://github.com/psycopg/psycopg2/pull/798 feel free to integrate it or to go on with the process you figured out in the past.Kind RegardsCh.F.

Good design can't stop bad implementation

Il domenica 21 ottobre 2018, 22:05:14 CEST, Christian Ferrari <camauz(at)yahoo(dot)com> ha scritto:

> Yes, I'll merge that tomorrow (no time today). I was for a name without
> the underscore but the MySQL guy has a point where he says that the
> client code should be warned that the driver can't guarantee API
> stability in this case (what if PGconn changes?). So, maybe
> `_get_native_connection()` is OK.

> federico
Dear Federico,mysqlclient-python accepted the pull requesthttps://github.com/PyMySQL/mysqlclient-python/commit/54c69436f45f2c78b3ace754780a1a265e60d430and the final method name for MySQLdb connection is "_get_native_connection()"
I'm ready to release LIXA 1.7.1 with XTA support for Python2/3 and PostgreSQL/MySQL/MariaDB, but currently I still have all the examples with"get_native_connection()" for PostgreSQLand"_get_native_connection()" for MySQL/MariaDB
Do you mind if I fork the master branch of Psycopg2 and apply your changes? I would like to avoid a release with inconsistent method name that should be fixed as soon as Psycopg2 2.8 will be available.
Kind RegardsCh.F.