Re: Planning error in dynamic string creation in plpgsql

From: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Planning error in dynamic string creation in plpgsql
Date: 2014-01-06 15:42:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver-3 wrote

>> In the real function I'm writing, the columns to be used in the string
>> being created are pulled from a configuration table, so their types
>> could be anything. So casting the quote_literal() calls is not really an
>> option here.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Cast before the quote_literal?
>
> Example:
>
> EXECUTE 'SELECT min('||v_col||'::text) as min, max('||v_col||'::text) as
> max FROM test_temp' INTO v_record;

Right idea if the loss of original type in the min/max query is acceptable
(which it should be). But the cast wants to be of the min/max RESULT not
the min/max INPUT.

SELECT min(' || v_col || ')::text AS min_text, max(' || v_col || ')::text AS
max_text FROM ...

Min/Max logic wants to be done by the rules for the original type, not
according to string collation rules.

David J.