New to postgresql - Do I have to be a "superuser" to be able to create a database?

From: gromitracer <george_m_se(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New to postgresql - Do I have to be a "superuser" to be able to create a database?
Date: 2014-01-06 03:32:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all. I am more accustomed in doing things the Oracle way and I am
trying to get a hold postgres :)

Below are my roles/users and their attributes. Posgresql version: 9.2

Role name | Attributes
| Member of
---------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------------
devs | Create DB, Cannot login
| {}
batman |
| {devs}
postgres | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication |
{}

As you can see:
role: DEVS is configured to be able to create a database.
user: batman is member of DEVS

However, when I login as batman and I issue the command "CREATE DATABASE
metropolis;" I get a Permission denied. Even when I give DEVS a "superuser"
attribute, user batman still cannot create a database. Do I have to elevate
user batman to a superuser? Isn't that dangerous when it comes to security?

Thank you :)