How to list and describe tables in psql???

From: peterlen <peteralen(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to list and describe tables in psql???
Date: 2014-01-02 01:53:24
Lists: pgsql-general

I am using PostgreSQL 9.1 and have boon looking for psql commands to list all
tables in the current database as well as how to "describe" a given table.
I have come across some info on the web (older mostly) that lists commands
like \d, \dt, or \d+ <tablename> but I get results like "no relations found"
or "column reltriggers does not exist". Not sure what is going on.

Can someone enlighten me on the right commands to use?

Thanks - Peter