Re: [bug fix] Savepoint-related statements terminates connection

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] Savepoint-related statements terminates connection
Date: 2017-09-01 14:19:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've added tests to the recent patch to show it works.

I don't think those test cases prove anything (ie, they work fine
on an unpatched server). With a backslash maybe they would.

> Any objection to me backpatching this, please say.

This patch makes me itch. Why is it correct for these three checks,
and only these three checks out of the couple dozen uses of isTopLevel
in standard_ProcessUtility, to instead do something else?