Re: BUG #8606: Materialized View WITH NO DATA bug

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "j(dot)rejda(at)konektel(dot)cz" <j(dot)rejda(at)konektel(dot)cz>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #8606: Materialized View WITH NO DATA bug
Date: 2013-11-20 14:05:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> But having said that, it seems that this complaint implies that
> CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW ... WITH NO DATA still runs the query
> through a planning cycle.  Why is that?  I can't immediately see
> any benefit to doing so.

Well, to be honest, it's because CREATE TABLE AS ... WITH NO DATA
does so, and I figured that if it was needed there I didn't see why
CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW AS ... WITH NO DATA would be any
different.  I'm shameless in copying what seems to be working.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com