Re: pg_restore problem with 7.3.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ian Burrell <ib(at)onsitetech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: pg_restore problem with 7.3.1
Date: 2003-02-06 18:04:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ian Burrell <ib(at)onsitetech(dot)com> writes:
> I just recreated the problem with a slightly different command. The
> problem was caused by using a list file to skip loading some function
> definitions that were causing problems. The command that loaded
> everything into template1 was:

> pg_restore -C -d template1 -L mpmx.lst -Ft mpmx.tar

> It looks like the CREATE DATABASE call isn't done unless the -C flag is
> included both when the list file is created and when doing the restore.

Yeah, that seems to make sense. I observe that -C causes an additional
entry to be made in the list file:

$ pg_restore -l r.tar >r.lst
$ pg_restore -C -l r.tar >r.lstc
$ diff r.lst r.lstc
13a14
> 1; 0 DATABASE regression postgres

and it makes sense that the actual CREATE DATABASE command would be
issued when that TOC entry is processed (if -C was given).

Offhand it seems to me that -l should produce this list-file entry
always, regardless of -C; and perhaps "pg_restore -C -L" should
complain if it doesn't find a DATABASE entry in the list (though I'm
unsure how hard that is to implement).

Philip, any comments? Do you have time to fix this?