Re: Changing DB Encodings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Changing DB Encodings
Date: 2007-07-07 22:40:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net> writes:
> Why have I been told that I need to do a re initdb to change the char
> encoding? The man says i can just createdb foodb -E utf8 so why
> would i need to dump/initdb/create/restore? cant i just dump/create/restore?

Are you clear on the difference between encoding and locale?

You can make new databases with whatever encoding you say, but the
server's lc_collate and lc_ctype are frozen at initdb, and it will
not work well to select an encoding that is incompatible with the
locale setting. In practice this means that you can only use multiple
database encodings when you initdb'd in "C" locale; all other locale
settings imply a particular encoding.

Yes, this is pretty annoying. No, it's not easy to fix.