Re: Documentation for SET var_name FROM CURRENT

From: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation for SET var_name FROM CURRENT
Date: 2013-10-01 14:49:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Johnston wrote
> A paragraph cross-referencing where SET sub-commands exist has merit but
> since the main SET command does not accept FROM CURRENT it (FC) should not
> be included in its page directly.

It is strange that this actually does work - at least in 9.0 - given that
SET ... FROM CURRENT does not seem to have any usage outside of its
interaction as part of the CREATE FUNCTION command.

Is there some use-case I am not seeing?

Since the command works I would agree that it should be provided in the
syntax section for "SET" and that a comment be added that says generally
that its presence is an historical artifact and has no real use as part of
the top-level command. Its intended use is in conjunction with the CREATE
FUNCTION command. Alternative wordings to describe uses I am not seeing are
good too.

David J.