connecting to the database from pgadmin client

From: Thara Vadakkeveedu <tharagv(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: connecting to the database from pgadmin client
Date: 2013-09-25 00:37:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi
I am trying to connect to the database on a linux server from pgadmin on my windows desktop.
I see "Error connecting to the server: Fatal: password authentication failed for user "postgres"

I specified my linux server name for the host
port : 5432
Maintenance DB : postgres
username:postgres
passowrd: a passwod I set (using alter user postgres password command. I changed password as user postgres)

How can I connect to the postgres database ?
thanks,
thara.