Re: Unicode database + JDBC driver performance

From: Jan Ploski <jpljpl(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode database + JDBC driver performance
Date: 2002-12-22 01:16:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 03:33:57PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> If no translation is happening then I can't see a reason for any
> difference at all, given what you were doing.
>
> I can imagine speed differences for operations that actually interpret
> the character data --- for example, sorting on a text column --- but
> AFAICT you weren't doing anything like that.
>
> It'd be worth checking first to see whether the extra time is really
> being spent in the backend, client, or both.

Hello,

Here are the results of the more detailed benchmarks.

Legend: the left column is "utime", right column is "stime" (both in
jiffies) according to "cat /proc/<pid>/stat" output for the 'postgres'
process created by establishing the database connection. For the client,
I used the Unix 'time' command (and assumed 1 jiffie == 1/100s).

In short, we can see that the backend's performance is somewhat worse
for the Unicode database in the INSERT benchmark. The client's
(driver's) performance is much worse for Unicode in this same
benchmark.

In the SELECT benchmark, the backend performance does not vary
between UNICODE and LATIN1 (nice!). The difference in client's
performance is even bigger than in the INSERT benchmark, though.

It looks like the driver needs some profiling to find out the reason.

Thanks for your assistance.

-JPL

INSERT benchmark

backend