Re: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

From: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage
Date: 2013-08-19 20:20:54
Lists: pgsql-www

Jonathan S. Katz wrote
> Here are a couple of suggestions:
>
> 1. We list >= 5 events on the homepage instead of 3.)
> #1 is a small patch that many people (including myself) could handle at a
> moment's notice. The argument could be made "Well now we display X
> events now but what if we need to show Y?" - yes I agree with this, but I
> think we should display a few more now and work on something longer term,
> i.e...

I get space is a premium resource but instead of a random integer
representing the number of events it would make more sense to show all
events occurring in the next (random integer) 3 months. To preserve space
and avoid overloading the reader the number could still be capped (at say 5)
but the 5 that are shown should rotate on a daily basis from all those
occurring in the next 3 months. A short blurb like "showing 5 of 17 events
in the next 3 months - click <here> to view all of them" could point people
further into the bowels of the website/wiki.

David J.