Re: Selecting distinct records

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <dave(at)hawk-systems(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Selecting distinct records
Date: 2002-11-21 19:28:40
Lists: pgsql-general

"Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <dave(at)hawk-systems(dot)com> writes:
>> What I am looking to do is
>> - grab every record for $user
>> - remove any records that have identical ipaddress+sessionid+refid
>> - then sort the results by date_time or something else

> this last requirement is where the problem is...

I think you need two levels of select. To do the DISTINCT ON you must
sort by the columns to be distinct'd. You can re-sort the result in
an outer select. For example:

select * from
(select distinct on (ten) * from tenk1 order by ten) ss
order by hundred;

In practice the inner select's order by will need additional sort
columns, with which you control which row gets chosen out of any set of
duplicates.