Re: 'moving' from one database to another

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: "mauricejea(at)numericable(dot)fr" <mauricejea(at)numericable(dot)fr>, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 'moving' from one database to another
Date: 2013-08-03 19:20:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

Jean MAURICE <mauricejea(at)numericable(dot)fr> wrote:

> I connect to the database 'postgres'. I can then test if the
> database I want is already built and I build it if not.
>
> But once it is built, can I 'move' from the default database to
> my new database with a command OR must I disconnect from postgres
> and reconnect to my new database ? In Visual Foxpro, we have a
> command "SET DATABASE TO mydatabase" and it is exactly what I
> want to do !

In PostgreSQL a connection is to a particular database.  To use a
different database you must establish a new connection.  The psql
client software provides an easy way to do that with \c, but behind
the scenes that closes the existing connection and opens a new one.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com