Get multiple columns with counts from one table.

From: chuydb <jdelbosque(at)cic(dot)mx>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Get multiple columns with counts from one table.
Date: 2013-06-12 22:09:13
Lists: pgsql-general

From two columns in my table I want to get a unified count for the values in

| type | count |
----------------------------------
| one | 4 |
| two | 2 |
| three | 2 |
| four | 1 |
| five | 2 |
| six | 1 |

Im trying to get something like this: (one column with my types grouped
together and multiple columns with the count vales for each place)
I get:
| type | home | school | work | cafe | friends | mall |
| one | 2 | | 2 | | | |
| two | | 1 | | 1 | | |
| three | | | 2 | | | |
| four | | | | 1 | | |
| five | | | | 1 | 1 | |
| six | | | | | | 1 |

which would be the result of running a count for every place like this:
SELECT type, count(*) from reports where place = 'home'
group by type
SELECT type, count(*) from reports where place = 'school'
group by type
SELECT type, count(*) from reports where place = 'work'
group by type
SELECT type, count(*) from reports where place = 'cafe'
group by type
SELECT type, count(*) from reports where place = 'friends'
group by type
SELECT type, count(*) from reports where place = 'mall'
group by type

Is this possible with postgresql???

Thanks in advance.