Re: *Proper* solution for 1..* relationship?

From: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: *Proper* solution for 1..* relationship?
Date: 2013-04-30 13:13:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

Wolfgang Keller-2 wrote
> What still astounds me is that, again, this (correct implementation of
> 1..n relationships with n>0) is an absolutely standard issue that is as
> old as relational databases per se and NO ONE has implemented (and
> documented and tested and...) a standard solution yet?

I would imagine most people are content using a 0..* cardinality instead of
a 1..*. Please, someone espouse the practical benefits of enforcing that
one record exists on the child table in order for a record to be present on
the parent.

> Gosh.
>
> What were all those people doing all those decades.

Inventing the Internet and, more recently, NoSQL databases. I guess the
problem was so difficult people just decided to get rid of cardinality
altogether.

David J.