Re: PROPOSAL: tracking aggregated numbers from pg_stat_database

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: tracking aggregated numbers from pg_stat_database
Date: 2013-04-13 13:01:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 21:51 +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> This more or less works in stable environments, but once you start
> dropping databases (think of hosting with shared DB server) it gets
> unusable because after DROP DATABASE the database suddenly disappears
> from the sum.
>
> Therefore I do propose tracking the aggregated stats, similar to the
> pg_stat_bgwriter view.

It seems like this will open a can of worms. Maybe someone wants
aggregated stats for pg_stat_user_tables? Or maybe instead of the sum,
someone wants to track the average? etc. I don't think we should turn
the statistics collector into a poor man's data warehouse or statistics
engine. Couldn't you transfer the data to some other system for
long-term analysis? Maybe you could even use event triggers to have
DROP DATABASE do that automatically.