Re: meson and check-tests

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tristan Partin" <tristan(at)partin(dot)io>
Cc: "Ashutosh Bapat" <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: meson and check-tests
Date: 2024-06-02 05:25:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Tristan Partin" <tristan(at)partin(dot)io> writes:
> On Fri May 31, 2024 at 12:02 PM CDT, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>> We talked this off-list at the conference. It seems we have to somehow
>> avoid passing pg_regress --schedule argument and instead pass the list of
>> tests. Any idea how to do that?

> I think there are 2 solutions to this.
> 1. Avoid passing --schedule by default, which doesn't sound like a great
> solution.
> 2. Teach pg_regress to ignore the --schedule option if specific tests
> are passed instead.
> 3. Add a --no-schedule option to pg_regress which would override the
> previously added --schedule option.
> I personally prefer 2 or 3.

Just to refresh peoples' memory of what the Makefiles do:
src/test/regress/GNUmakefile has

check: all
$(pg_regress_check) $(REGRESS_OPTS) --schedule=$(srcdir)/parallel_schedule $(MAXCONNOPT) $(EXTRA_TESTS)

check-tests: all | temp-install
$(pg_regress_check) $(REGRESS_OPTS) $(MAXCONNOPT) $(TESTS) $(EXTRA_TESTS)

(and parallel cases for installcheck etc). AFAICS, meson.build has
no equivalent to the EXTRA_TESTS add-on, nor does it have behavior
equivalent to check-tests' substitution of $(TESTS) for --schedule.
But I suggest that those behaviors have stood for a long time and
so the appropriate thing to do is duplicate them as best we can,
not invent something different.