Re: PGconn timeout

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ahoward <ahoward(at)fsl(dot)noaa(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGconn timeout
Date: 2003-02-06 17:33:22
Lists: pgsql-general

ahoward <ahoward(at)fsl(dot)noaa(dot)gov> writes:
> i'm writing a ruby connection pooling package layered on top of it's libpq
> interface. i've scoured the pg docs, but can't seem to determine of PGconns
> normally timeout, and if there are any methods for dealing with
> this/determinng this.

There is no timeout behavior in either libpq or the backend. We have
recently seen a couple of trouble reports that seem to be due to
connections being dropped when they are idle for more than a timeout
period, but my guess is that that behavior is occurring in a firewall
or other network device between the client and server machines.