Re: Truncation failure in autovacuum results in data corruption (duplicate keys)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Truncation failure in autovacuum results in data corruption (duplicate keys)
Date: 2018-04-18 20:09:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'd like to continue to think of a solution and create a patch, based
> on the severity and how the customer will respond to our answer. I
> have a feeling that we have to say it's a bit serious, since it
> requires recovery from a base backup, not just rebuilding indexes.
> The patch development may be after PGCon.

It's definitely something we need to work on. It looks to me like
the original thread died because we weren't in a part of the cycle
where we wanted to work on major patches ... and here we are again :-(.
So yeah, targeting a fix for v12 might be the right way to think
about it, seeing how seldom the problem crops up.