Re: Full text and removing dashes from names

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Asmir Mustafic <asmir(at)lignano(dot)it>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Full text and removing dashes from names
Date: 2013-02-21 20:03:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Asmir Mustafic <asmir(at)lignano(dot)it> wrote:

> I can't use language based  stemming because names  should not be
> be stemmed)

If you have a column that explicitly contains names, I recommend
trigram similarity searching.  I have found trigram similarity much
better than document-oriented full text searches, LIKE, or regular
expressions for names.  If you want a general document search that
uses some special rules in addition to what you get out of the
dictionaries, I have had good results picking out relavent parts
using regular expressions, building that into a string and casting
it to tsvector, then concatenating that tsvector with what came
from the lexeme/dictionary evaluation.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company