Re: BUG #7884: pg_upgradecluster is terribly slow

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: "rtvd(at)me(dot)com" <rtvd(at)me(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #7884: pg_upgradecluster is terribly slow
Date: 2013-02-15 18:27:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"rtvd(at)me(dot)com" <rtvd(at)me(dot)com> wrote:

> I have tried upgrading a database from 8.4 to 9.1 and
> pg_upgradecluster is terribly slow.

I had never heard of pg_upgradecluster sluster; a google search
suggests that there is an Ubuntu utility by that name, so you might
want to register a complaint there; this list is definitely not the
right place for that.

You might want to try the utility which *is* supported by the
PostgreSQL community, which is pg_upgrade.  For speed, consider
using the -k option.  I've been able to upgrade a 3 TB database in
just a few minutes with that.  (Timing depends more on the number
of database objects than their size.)

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/pgupgrade.html

--
Kevin Grittner