Re: Runtime variations during day

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Carlos Henrique Reimer <carlos(dot)reimer(at)opendb(dot)com(dot)br>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Runtime variations during day
Date: 2013-02-13 22:17:45
Lists: pgsql-general

> I'm wondering about cache effects, ie memory already contains
> desired pages in the morning (perhaps as a side-effect of queries
> run overnight) and not so much by the evening.  If so it's not
> clear that additional VACUUM activity would make things better.
>
> But in any case it's hard to diagnose this without EXPLAIN
> ANALYZE output.

He did show EXPLAIN OUTPUT results, which showed an index scan in
the morning and a seqscan in the evening.  He also mentioned that
he doubted cache effects amounted to much because the database was
40GB and the machine has 64GB.

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJnnue1x6YYqKbvDQkMTonK62GZSPH-edPR4U7+LOt66M3s_Sw@mail.gmail.com

--
Kevin Grittner