Re: GUC with units, details

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jim Nasby <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, "Bort, Paul" <pbort(at)tmwsystems(dot)com>
Subject: Re: GUC with units, details
Date: 2006-07-27 22:18:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> ... The question is whether we want to have kB mean
> 1000 bytes instead of 1024 bytes.

> In my mind, that goes against current practice.

I concur. Most of the places where we are using these units, they are
for specifying memory sizes, and *everyone* does memory sizes in binary.
The argument from disk drive makers' obviously marketing-driven decision
to use decimal doesn't impress me. And the argument from standards that
are just about universally ignored doesn't impress me either ...