Re: update before drop causes OID problems in transaction?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: update before drop causes OID problems in transaction?
Date: 2006-03-18 06:27:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com> writes:
> I suspect I've answered my own question while preparing the test case. Is it
> the use of pg_get_serial_sequence at the bottom of the transaction? If so,
> why does it only have a problem when there is an update to credit_card_audit
> in the transaction?

No, I think it's that you've got a plpgsql trigger function that
contains queries referring to credit_card_audit. Dropping and
recreating that table invalidates plpgsql's cached plans for those
queries.

We do have in mind to fix this (Neil Conway was poking at it, last
I heard) but it won't happen before 8.2 at the earliest. In the
meantime I'm wondering why you are insistent on dropping and recreating
credit_card_audit, as opposed to something less invasive like TRUNCATE.