Re: [HACKERS] Re: SIGBUS in AllocSetAlloc & jdbc

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: postgres <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: SIGBUS in AllocSetAlloc & jdbc
Date: 1999-05-02 17:12:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> So far I couldn't find nothing special with the backend by now. Going
> back to the ImageViewer, I think I found possible problem with it. In
> my understanding, every lo call should be in single transaction block.
> But ImageViwer seems does not give any "begin" or "end" SQL commands.
> I made a small modifications(see below patches) to the ImageViewer and
> now it starts to work again with 6.5 backend!

Hmm. The documentation does say somewhere that LO object handles are
only good within a transaction ... so it's amazing this worked reliably
under 6.4.x.

Is there any way we could improve the backend's LO functions to defend
against this sort of misuse, rather than blindly accepting a stale
filehandle?