guids / bytea and index use ?

From: rahul143 <rk204885(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: guids / bytea and index use ?
Date: 2012-12-03 05:12:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

We are currently using a 32byte varchar for our primary keys. We tried to
reduce this down to 16 bytes but varchar didn’t seem to store this
correctly. I’d like to use bytea instead so we could use 16bytes, but are
indexes used properly ? Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to
store guids ? We don’t have any experience in recompiling the postgres
source code etc.

-----