Re: TCP/IP connection

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dhananjay Mishra <dmishra(at)vt(dot)edu>
Cc: bhuvan(at)symonds(dot)net, nickf(at)ontko(dot)com, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TCP/IP connection
Date: 2003-05-22 02:22:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dhananjay Mishra <dmishra(at)vt(dot)edu> writes:
>> I am trying to open the server for TCP/IP connection. My server is RedHat
>> 7.2(postgresql-7.1.

Recent versions of Red Hat (I think as far back as 7.2) have fairly
draconian packet filtering installed by default. Are you getting a
"connection refused" error, rather than a Postgres-ish "no pg_hba entry"
error? If the former, your problem is probably that the kernel is
configured not to allow any traffic to port 5432. You'll need to poke
a hole in the filtering rules.