Re: [feature request] split triggers into branches

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Michal Kozusznik <kozusznik(dot)michal(at)ifortuna(dot)cz>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [feature request] split triggers into branches
Date: 2012-11-25 10:31:49
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Wed, 2012-10-24 at 13:48 +0200, Michal Kozusznik wrote:
> Hello
> Have you considered to split triggers into branches?
> I can imagine:
>
> * triggers
> o insert
> + before
> + after
> o update
> + before
> + after
> o before
> + before
> + after
>
> Triggers which are set for multiple events would appear in all
> particular branches.

That's probably the biggest issue with your proposal. Objects shouldn't
appear at different locations (yeah, we already do this with the
language objects in 9.1, but I'm not sure how we should deal with that).

> Of course it might be optional for some who don't like it.
>
> We have a lot of triggers for single tables (50) and would be helpful to
> us to organize them in some way.

50 triggers on a single table? wow, something is so wrong with your
setup. I don't quite get why you would end up with so much triggers.
Isn't that a big issue with performances?

But I get it that with such a setup, you need a better tree.
Unfortunately, your kind of setup is probably really specific, and isn't
a usual one.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info