Re: Commit within a PL/PGSQL procedure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Harry Broomhall" <harry(dot)broomhall(at)uk(dot)easynet(dot)net>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com (Josh Berkus), pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commit within a PL/PGSQL procedure
Date: 2003-06-17 16:35:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

Harry Broomhall <harry(dot)broomhall(at)uk(dot)easynet(dot)net> writes:
> The reason I say it runs out of memory is the message:
> ERROR: Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc(36)
> in the log file, and I am running 'top' and see the process hit 512MB at
> about this point!

Sounds like running out of memory to me too ;-)

We have found (and fixed) various intra-function-call memory leaks in
plpgsql in the past, and I wouldn't be surprised to find more. Which
PG version is this exactly? If it's current, can you supply a complete
test case to cause the problem? I'd be happy to look into it.