Re: fast-archiver tool, useful for pgsql DB backups

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Mathieu Fenniak <mathieu(dot)fenniak(at)replicon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fast-archiver tool, useful for pgsql DB backups
Date: 2012-09-03 05:04:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 15:48 -0600, Mathieu Fenniak wrote:
> Hi pgsql-general,
>
> Has anyone else ever noticed how slow it can be to rsync or tar a pgdata
> directory with hundreds of thousands or millions of files?

Yes:
http://petereisentraut.blogspot.com/2012/05/base-backup-compression-options.html

My analysis showed that the archiving was CPU-bound on the compression
task. It might different when you are dealing with a lot of small files
as opposed to a few big files. So parallelizing the archiving itself
could still be useful.