Re:

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jhihn1 <jhihn1(at)umbc(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2003-01-28 15:51:05
Lists: pgsql-general

jhihn1 <jhihn1(at)umbc(dot)edu> writes:
> Another problem, and this is a big one, is I can't shutdown my master
> postmaster here. I have queries running all the time on multiple databases on
> 1 postmaster. I can make sure that nothing is running in the database that is
> being updated, but I can't lock people out of the 600-some other databases
> under this postmaster. No way, uh-uh, never going to happen!

<blink> You're expecting to rsync just one database out of an
installation? Not a chance. The WAL and clog files must be replicated
too, and those are shared across the whole installation. And the
guaranteed-no-update condition must hold across the whole installation,
too.

Forget rsync; there is no way on earth that you have a prayer of making
that work. Go look at the various existing replication projects (see
the link someone already provided). One of them might suit your needs.