Re: pulling libpqtypes from queue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pulling libpqtypes from queue
Date: 2008-04-15 18:39:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com> writes:
> Installing it per-conn doesn't get you anything. pqtypes has already
> been linked in. If you use PQexec and PQgetvalue, the pqtypes code
> pretty much does nothing. So, a per-conn install seems redundant. You
> are installing the same function pointers under the same name over and
> over. If you link with, it should just be available.

I don't really agree with that argument; it's not impossible that you'd
want it on some connections and not others. The server version for
instance could affect the choice.

Per-conn install also gets you out of a bunch of thread safety issues
(because we've already decreed that it's the app's problem to ensure
that only one thread touches a PGconn at a time).