Re: List of hostaddrs not supported

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: List of hostaddrs not supported
Date: 2017-06-08 14:50:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It doesn't seem like a problem to me if somebody else wants to extend
> it to hostaddr, though. Whether that change belongs in v10 or v11 is
> debatable. I would object to adding this as an open item with me as
> the owner because doesn't seem to me to be a must-fix issue, but I
> don't mind someone else doing the work.

If you want to define multiple-hostaddrs as a future feature, that
seems fine, but I think Heikki is describing actual bugs. The minimum
that I think needs to be done for v10 is to make libpq reject a hostaddr
string with the wrong number of entries (either different from the
host list, or different from 1).